I confess – I was once an obsessive-calorie-counting maniac. Nothing would go in my mouth until I documented it. Be it on my blackberry, laptop or a book – if it wasn’t documented, it wasn’t eaten. People who didn’t know me thought I was a raving lunatic but Mr. Fabulous just learnt to accept it. He knew better than trying to reason with me. I was scared to gain weight. I needed the discipline.
Five months ago I officially stopped. Coming to China for two weeks, living in a hotel and eating out 2x a day made it impossible! I decided to follow few rules to help me not gain weight:
- Eat more fruits and vegetables
- Avoid fried foods
- Work-out 4x a week
- Have protein with all meals
- Keep a food diary
- Drink lots of water
It was a miracle. I reached home after 2-weeks of eating out and.. wait for it.. I lost weight (ok it was only one pound but any weight loss is good)!!
I realized I could actually eat a balanced diet and exercise without being obsessive and NOT gain weight. Although, I do have few commandments, which must be followed:
- I make sure I workout four times, a mix of cardio and strength training
- I must eat breakfast every morning (even if it means missing the train to HK – Mr. Fabulous finally learnt to embrace this rather than fight it)
- I eat dessert once a day
- I still write down what I eat – I just don’t work out the calories and keep track of it.
Lately though something has happened. I have gone on a ‘see-food’ diet. I am eating everything in sight with no care in the world. I need to get serious. I need to be in command.
Workout targets for November
- 3x cardio sessions a week
- 2x strength training sessions a week
- Finish a 10km run in under 64 minutes.
Food Targets for November
- Eat 3 meals and 2 snacks a day
- Allow myself one piece of chocolate at night – depriving myself = a recipe for disaster
- Maximum of 4 alcoholic drinks a week
I’ll be tracking my workouts in the fitness section and my eating habits for the month in the food section.
Wish my luck to get back on track.